Jenny and Herb Gardner began planting grape vines in 2001 on a beautiful piece of land located within the Rivers Rd Organic Farms Community Title in Canowindra, New South Wales, Australia. As the name suggests, the farm is dedicated to organic agriculture. Some of the other produce grown within Rivers Rd Organic Farms includes olives, fruit and vegetables, spelt and organic free ranging sheep. The community title is made up of a diverse mix of individuals who all share a common passion for our environment – both macro and neighbouring, and for our community and people’s health and well being. Gardners Ground are committed to sustainable farming practices, the environment and wellbeing and this is demonstrated in many of the choices the Gardners make in both lifestyle and how they manage their business.
The following are some examples of Gardners Ground Pty Ltd’s commitment to sustainable farming practices, health and well being and preserving the natural environment and encouraging wildlife:
- During the early 1900’s much of Herb and Jenny’s land had been cleared for sheep and wheat farming. 10% of the Rivers Road Organic Farms has been dedicated to replanting native plants and Herb and Jenny have replanted a further hectare with native plants as part of Gardners Ground’s endeavours in responsible land stewardship. Revegetating the previously cleared land provides a habitat for native wildlife, create shelter belts and improves the quality of waterways on the farm and for everyone downstream.
- The average rainfall in the Cowra Region is 580mm per year. Herb and Jenny avoid irrigating the vineyard unless absolutely necessary e.g. when establishing young vines and at the commencement of the growing period. Farming this way often means being prepared to accept lower yields than conventional growers however it encourages deep root growth and flavours that are indicative of our region.
- The quality of the soil on the vineyard is enormously important to Jenny and Herb and they have loved watching the grapevines mature and strengthen in their healthy soil. They’ve also drawn huge satisfaction from the knowledge that these grapes are high in beneficial anti-oxidant components, high in quality and full of flavour. To ensure their soil quality is rich in nutrients for their vines they employ the services of Gaia Consultancy as their Agronomist - A firm that is dedicated to soil health through biological farming systems.
- As a lifestyle choice Herb and Jenny built a straw-bale home on the vineyard. They have fitted their home with solar panels that feed back into the grid, water tanks and self composting loo. Their choice of home also shows their commitment to reducing negative impact on the environment.
- Gardners Ground choose to use light weight bottles for our wines and unbleached cardboard for packing our cartons in our endeavour to reduce our carbon footprint.
- We are fortunate to have some excellent winemakers in our local region and we choose to have our wines made and bottled locally thus ensuring not only are we supporting our local community and reducing unnecessary fuel consumption in transportation but we are able to use less sulphur in our traditionally made wines.
- Our grapes are high in quality and picked in the cool of the night. This paired with experienced winemakers who areworking with small parcels means quality wine with minimal sulphur added.
- Preservative Free - Gardners Ground recognise sulphur is a concern for many individuals and we also offer a wine that is made with no added preservatives or preservative free. From time to time we offer a No Added Preservative Chardonnay but this is only when conditions are optimal but Shiraz grapes thrive in our soils so we are able to offer No Added Preservative Shiraz in most vintage year. Current vintage is 2010 Gardners Ground No Added Preservative Shiraz.
For more information on Gardners Ground’s award winning No Added Preservative Wines and Certified Organic Wines click on REVIEWS.